Bindi Irwin Speaks Out About Being An Advocate For Young Girls

Bindi Irwin Speaks Out About Being An Advocate For Young Girls

I don’t know much about Bindi Irwin; I vaguely remember the media circus that occurred when her father died, being that I was only a few years older than Bindi when Steve Irwin died. I remember seeing bits of news of her here and there, over the years, but I never really paid much attention to it because I wasn’t really old enough to be a huge fan of Steve Irwin. I knew who he was, and that was about it. Well, now she’s sixteen and speaking to the media.

The one thing that I really liked about what she said was this–

“I’m a big advocate for young girls dressing their age. I mean, for me, I look around at a lot of young girls that are my age and they’re always trying to dress older. Whether it’s wearing revealing clothes or hardly wearing any clothes at all, I feel really bad for them. It kind of has the opposite effect in some ways … it kind of does the opposite where it makes you look younger and like you’re trying too hard.”

How is it that a sixteen year old girl can reasonably articulate the reason why some teenage girls try to dress in revealing/more mature clothes without calling them tramps (or any other connotation of the word). She seems to be very mature and thoughtful for her age–her mother (and father) seemed to have raised her very, very well. I like that she isn’t pointing fingers at anyone, but is just saying that she understands why.

I think that, especially in the media, there is very little regard for the ‘whys’ of when a young person starts behaving and/or dressing in a much older manner. There is just pointing fingers and trash talking these young women (and men), instead of trying to figure out and correct the real issues that perpetrate this kind of behavior, or if there are any issues at all.

Image credit: Bindi Irwin’s Instagram

1. Bonnie G says

I hadn’t heard of her until now reading this. I agree I like what she had to say about the way she dresses. I feel fortunate that my oldest daughter doesn’t try to dress and look older, for now…

2. Pamela says

She seems to be quite mature for her age, nice to hear she’s doing good.

3. Felicia says

I saw this yesterday in my Facebook feed and was very impressed with her thought line. It’s nice a young lady with a good head on her shoulders in the media spotlight.

4. Hilary @ The RNY Life says

I hear about her every now and then. Glad to see she’s doing great. They obviously did a great job raising her. I’m sure she will do amazing things just like her dad.

5. BusyBee says

It is nice to hear her speak about dressing your age. Some young women just try too hard to look awful

6. DD says

She has grown up so fast.

7. Jayleen Zotti says

“… it makes you look younger and like you’re trying too hard.” So true … she is wise beyond her years!

8. Jeanne Melanson says

This girl is in a very good position to influence so many people her age. She has hit the limelight because of who her father was, so she has lots of potential to teach. Hats off to her. I admire her. Thank you for sharing this post.

9. Amanda @ Growing Up Madison says

I read about her speaking out on this recently and I was proud of her because I’ve been thinking the same thing as well. I’ve actually seen parents dress toddlers in trampy clothing as well. It’s not just the kids but their parents who do it too.

10. I’m so glad to see that Bindi Irwin is doing well. She is a smart girl and very mature for her age. I just hope young girls will listen to her. Thanks for sharing!

11. Allie says

I really like this young lady. She seems to have grown into fine role model.

12. Janelle says

She’s such a pretty young girl. Her daddy would be very proud of her.

13. C.J. says

I have always like Bindi since she was a little girl following her dad into cave looking for bats. Lol. You could tell she was a daddy’s girl. I still remember when she spoke at her dad’s memorial service. She has grown up to be a beautiful young woman that is still making her father proud.

14. Erin says

Her dad would be very proud of her. A great family that is kind and takes care of others, well done.