How To Start A Babysitting Business

How To Start A Babysitting Business

If you’re looking to open some extra streams of income, babysitting is a great place to start! You can earn as little or as much as you want, and choose your hours! It’s entirely up to you whether you want your business to be full-time, part-time, or just occasionally. This makes babysitting a great option for extra income, or even your main source of income! There are definitely a few steps you need to take before opening your babysitting business though, and these tips should guide you in the right direction.

1. Get CPR/first aid certified.
Don’t just get the certification and call it a day, either. Be diligent in learning how to do it in case you ever need to utilize those skills. Not only will this be a necessary skill to have, but it also makes your business look much more dependable and legitimate.

2. Set your rates.
You’ll need to know how much you’re going to charge. There are lots of factors that influence this! Things like where you live, how many kids of one family you’ll be watching, whether or not you’re going to do drop-in daycare, or just charge by the day. For instance, some people charge $20 a day, per child while others charge $5 an hour for babysitting. Make sure that you know your worth, because your time is valuable and you should treat it as such!

3. Make sure your house is safe.
This can’t be stressed enough! Make sure your house is a safe environment for children. Set up a play area that is safe and secure, baby proof if you need to, and absolutely make an environment they’ll enjoy! If you have the room, it’s a good idea to make a play room filled with toys, small cubbies, and entertainment for the children. It ensures that they have a place to play in and not make a mess out of the rest of the house.

4. Be organized!
This isn’t necessarily required but I find that it’s more impressive to parents when they’re searching for a babysitting facility. It helps to keep a daily binder with notes for every day, and every child. You can write down what they ate, when they ate, if they were feeling okay, and more. This way if there are any discrepancies or the child has an allergic reaction or anything, you can trace back and see what might’ve caused it. Parents really appreciate this and you’ll find it much easier to run your babysitting business with some simple organization!

5. Make sure you’ll enjoy it beforehand.
Starting a babysitting business seems like a great idea in theory, but you might want to dip your toes in the water for a test run first! Offer to babysit some kids of relatives or date nights for some neighbors first. This will give you an idea if you’re really ready to commit to starting a full on babysitting business! It’ll also give you some ideas of how you’ll need to structure your days and set up your play room!

Follow these steps for success in starting a babysitting business and good luck!

1. dd says

It is a nice way for kids to earn some extra cash.

2. Jess C says

Nice post – as a kid I was a huge fan of The Babysitters Club and always wanted to be a babysitter ‘when I grew up;)’

3. Bonnie G says

Thanks for all this information. My daughter was thinking of doing this, this summer. I’ll give her these pointers.

4. Erin says

Great way for kids to earn money, these tips are awesome.

5. Jeanne Melanson says

I’m 58 years old and for the first time in my life, I am looking forward to the ‘business of baby-sitting’. My step-daughter just had a baby 2 weeks ago. My husband and I will become the official baby-sitters when she goes back to work. Funny where life takes me. lol Thanks!

6. aimee fauci says

A lot of cities offer babysitting classes as well, to parents in need that is a big plus! Also if you babysit at someone house and let’s say the child is asleep.. be proactive and clean up the kitchen or living room… this might land a big tip! When my caregivers do this I give extra $$$!

7. paula schuck says

I babysat so much as a kid. It was a good way to learn how to parent eventually also. My oldest child now babysits also and she has done some of this also. She took a babysitting course that helped prepare her for emergencies etc..

8. Allie says

A perfect business for a teenager. But they have to be responsible.

9. Janelle says

Great advice, I’ll pass these tips on to my niece.

10. Pamela says

Very good tips, it’s a good way for teens to learn some responsibility too.

11. I babysat from a young age all through high school and even a little in college and loved it!

12. […] on Jun 19 2014 – 7:35pm by Annemarie LeBlanc « PREVIOUS | Categorized […]

13. BusyBee says

It is also a great way to show young adults that they are not ready for kids of their own

14. […] your own boss. When you take on other kids as a responsibility, you have to take it seriously and be very careful about your choices. Babysitting can be very lucrative and you will have very few problems finding people who need […]

15. […] You Might Also Like —> How To Start A Babysitting Business […]