Ways Parents Can Volunteer in Their Child’s Classroom

Ways Parents Can Volunteer in Their Child's Classroom

f volunteering in their classroom. By volunteering at your child’s school, it is a great way to show them that you are taking an interest in their education. The majority of the school welcome parent volunteers since they are a critical role in everything from organizing events to chaperoning functions. Here are some ways parents can volunteer in their child’s classroom.

Lab helper – Lab helpers volunteer in computer, art and science labs, helping with hands-on assistance. Even if you can only volunteer to be a lab helper for an hour a week, it is extremely helpful to the teachers of that class.

Class parent – Being a class parent doesn’t involve much time at the school since most of the tasks are done from home. Class parents often engage in phone calls to notify of school closures or they may call folks asking for donations for various class events. While you are not actually in the classroom, you are still helping out.

Evening and weekend warriors – If you don’t have time to help out during the day, there are evening and weekend opportunities you may want to look into. The majority of school have school dances they need volunteers for as well as enrichment programs to be taught.

Class speaker – If you have an interesting career, you may want to speak to the class about your field of expertise. One of the best gifts you can provide students is the gift of knowledge and inspiration.

Chaperone – The majority of class field trips require a specific ratio when it comes to adults to children. You can volunteer to be a field trip chaperone for a trip to a museum or strawberry patch.
Fundraiser coordinator- Classes often have an array of fundraisers from silent auctions to bake sales to car washes. By volunteering at one of these fundraisers, you are helping to support your child as well as their school.

1. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says

Here the teachers send home a notice and parents can sign up to volunteer if they want to. Once they pass the CORI check.

2. Tina says

As a former 8th grade teacher I was always surprised how little parents would help out in middle school. I think parents just didn’t know all the ways they could still help. Wonderful article!

3. Jeanette says

The school we go to requires 24 hours per year of volunteer time. The teachers are very good at giving stuff for us to volunteer for either during the day in the evening or anything else.

4. Jeni Hawkins says

I love this! I really like the guest speaker idea – so smart! I remember my daddy doing that, and I was so proud and felt so cool because he was speaking to my class!

5. shalama says

Volunteering at your child’s school is good all the way through high school. My mother was there on the PTO, band parents and more until I graduated. I’m doing the same for my son in volunteering for school trips and other activities.

6. Carmela Mempin says

These is such a great idea 🙂 Someday I want to Volunteer too, This is such a great way to do.

7. Travel Blogger says

Great ideas! I think it is so important to stay involved in our children’s education even in small ways like volunteering.

8. Adriana says

My mom always volunteered and was class mom when I was little! So much fun, it’s great for kids too!

9. tauyanm says

its a good idea. its nice to think that parents can volunteer. more bonding for the both parents and child

10. Coralie says

I have always enjoyed helping in my kids’ classrooms. I love being involved and getting to know their teacher and the other students.

11. rika says

Great ideas.. Volunteering is very important, a great way to show our interest in education